Thursday, August 14, 2014

Obesity Is Killing Us

After watching a documentary on Netflix called "Killer at Large: Why Obesity..." I was in disbelief.  In the beginning of the documentary, Dr. Richard Carmona, U.S. Surgeon General from 2002-2006 reported, "Obesity is the terror within. It is destroying us, destroying our society from within.  And unless we do something about it, the magnitude of the dilemma will dwarf 911 or any other terrorist event that you can point out to me."

That's a very real statement and not a statement that we should be ignoring.  The map below is from my television screen as I continued to watch the "Killer at Large: Why Obesity..." documentary.  The color red indicates the amount of overweight and obese adults in 2006.  Two-thirds of the country are overweight or obese in 2006.   



 
Out of curiosity, I pulled the obesity trend map from 2010, and not surprisingly there is more red color on the map. 
 
After a combination of seeing the obesity trend maps and hearing the obesity rates of children between the ages of 6-11 has tripled and "their life expectancy may not be as long as our own," I decided to become a nutrition and wellness blogger. 
 
Adult and childhood obesity is on the rise and this bothers me most importantly because of our children.  I have two children under the ages of 5 and I will do the best I can as a mother to be a role model and educate my children about eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. 
 
The challenges I face as a mother and a dietitian are the fact that the marketing companies are bombarding us day-in and day-out with advertisements to buy sugary, non-nutrient-dense cereals and cookies that have fiber added to make them appear healthy.  And there are the "value meals" that are laden with fat and calories.  What kind of "value" are these fast food companies offering to us? 

These "value meals" are not only contributing to our waist lines and health problems, they are also contributing to further medical costs.  What kind of "value" is that?  And there's the soft drinks, candy bars, and chips that I see in just about every store I am in whether I am purchasing groceries, gas, walking in the mall, mailing a letter, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a vending machine in a public restroom at this point.

If you think about it, we are constantly passing convenience foods and beverages several times a day and the desire to grab something even after we just had a meal is very high.  This might be part of the reason for the obesity epidemic.  Just saying.  
 
 
 
 













No comments: